Thursday, April 21, 2011

End of an Era

Today we went to watch my little brother Patrick play in a double header.  This trip home was mainly to visit and hang with the fam, but it was also important to me to see Pat play in his last season for the Hawks.  I got to see him hit, play first base, and pitch today.  As I was watching and taking pictures I got very emotional for a few reasons.  One, I can't believe little Paddy Boy is a senior in high school and is graduating in June.  I remember very clearly the day he was born and have an even better memory for all of the bottle filling and diaper changing I did for him to help my mom.  I was also emotional because I came to the bittersweet realization that this was the last time I would be watching a baseball game at Hawk High as a supportive sister and daughter.

My dad recently resigned from his position as head baseball coach at Laguna Hills High School after 22 years which ends his 32 year coaching reign.  I am so happy for him but also a little sad.  The LHHS baseball field is where I grew up with my brothers and sister.  It was our version of summer camp every summer and is where most of my childhood memories were made.  Slip N' Slide on a huge tarp in the outfield, helping with the concession stand, helping drag the field on the four wheeler, treats at 7-11 after the games, playing in the outfield on the monkey bars, and playing capture the flag with my siblings and other coaches kids are just some of my favorites.  In the early days when I was starting to read, my dad would proudly gather his players around and have me read to them on the first base line.  I get teary eyed just thinking of the times that have passed but am so happy for the times to come.  I am excited to see what life after graduation brings for Pat and am hopeful that some time is freed up for my dad to do other things, like come visit me in Boston more often!  It's so weird to know that the last Tereschuk has gone through LHHS and that the head of the clan is leaving field behind.

Here are some pictures from the game...






















I went exploring behind the field because I was curious to see what wildlife was back there.  I found and endless sea of flowers.  It was so beautiful.





Here's to the future...













1 comment:

  1. I will miss all that too... that just got me teary.
    Life goes on and it gets better, different, but better. Love you

    ReplyDelete