Monday, April 4, 2011

Marilyn Minter

  Are you a Gossip Girl fan?  I am!  I'm in love with the story line, the fashion, the....everything!  One of my favorite things is the showcase of photography and paintings at the Van Der Woodsen abode.  I can't remember if it was season 1 or 2 or both, but I became obsessed with a painting in Serena's bedroom of a super glittery human eye.  Through my research I found that an artist by the name of Marilyn Minter created the master piece I was in love with.  At first I thought it was a photograph but read that they are actually paintings.


  Minter creates her photorealistic paintings by staging photo shoots of models wearing caked-on make up or what Minter calls "war paint."  She uses an actual darkroom to develop the film and then combines various negatives in Photoshop to make a new image that she paints onto aluminum.  The brilliant color and glossy sheen of the surface keeps me staring at her paintings with fascination.

I am on the hunt for an amazing Marylin Minter print.

Enjoy.





Pamela Andreson










No comments:

Post a Comment